Originally called Sixteenth Street Heights, Shepherd Park gained its name from its most famous resident, governor of the Territory of D.C. (1873-1874), Alexander Robey Shepherd. As owner of a plant nursery in D.C., Shepherd was able to plant tens of thousands of trees in the area. Positioned in the northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., the neighborhood was renamed Shepherd Park in 1943. Today, the gardens of the city’s residents still exhibit an array of flower varietals from his nursery. His botanical contributions are honored in the individual street names of Shepherd Park such as Iris, Jonquil, Geranium and Dahlia.
Predominantly residential, Shepherd Park’s commercial area is nearby on Georgia Avenue. Housing variety includes both traditional and Spanish-style colonials, bungalows, ramblers, farmhouses, split-levels and Tudors. The neighborhood, home to many prominent D.C. citizens, supports an inclusive and very active civic community.