[vc_row full_width=”” parallax=”” parallax_image=””][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]
Historically significant, Kalorama’s housing is a bountiful palette of gorgeous streets lined with rows of Georgian Revivals, English Arts and Crafts and Mediterranean stuccos. Five presidents have called Kalorama home including Woodrow Wilson, William H. Taft, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Warren Harding and Herbert Hoover. It also includes several diplomatic residences along its southern border, the Massachusetts portion of Embassy Row.
The Kalorama area, which includes the residential neighborhoods of Kalorama Triangle and Sheridan-Kalorama, was principally pastoral until the very late 19th century. It lay northwest of the boundaries of Washington City as planned by L’Enfant, but in the 1880s began to be subdivided. Per a Congressional order in 1893, L’Enfant’s design of the city was enlarged to include the remainder of the District. Kalorama, as an already existing development at that time, was exempted from the new grid system for streets and remains one of the only parts of D.C. that do not comply with the layout scheme.
Today, the area’s historic homes and well maintained gardens reflect the neighborhood’s distinguished atmosphere and sophisticated past.