[vc_row full_width=”” parallax=”” parallax_image=””][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]
In the 1920s, the Boss and Phelps construction firm, under the direction of Harry Boss, built close to 150 homes in the Tudor Revival style. Boss and Phelps described this newly established community as “situated on a high, gently rolling tract of land, desirably removed from the noise and bustle of the City Proper — yet within three miles of Washington’s main business districts.” These Tudor homes give Foxhall its distinct architecture. Though the houses are very similar in style, there is diversity in the details. Appealing features such as leaded-style windows, stone medallions affixed to the brick faces, and curved chimney pots give Foxhall much of its charm.
Foxhall Village is named, albeit with a spelling error, after Scottish immigrant Henry Foxall. Foxall, whose cannons contributed to defeating the British during the War of 1812, was mayor of Georgetown and friend to Thomas Jefferson. Foxall and Jefferson shared a love of playing the violin. During most of the 1800s, the area was used for agriculture. During the late 1800s and early 1900s, Foxhall was the fashionable summer home location for elite Washingtonians. Later, as the city grew rapidly, commuter housing was developed.
Foxhall Village, today approximately 300 homes, stayed true to Boss’s intended vision. Isolated and hidden away from the nearby bustle of Georgetown, Foxhall Village is within walking distance of urban amenities while still loyal to its quiet, cozy reputation. With no substantial through streets, the neighborhood stays happily off the beaten path.