Truxton Circle

Northwest, Washington D.C.

Truxton Circle, for being a relatively small neighborhood, has a large number of buildings on the National Register of Historic Places, most of which are or were schools. The circle itself, built in 1900, was a grand traffic circle located on Florida and North Capitol that proved to be more problematic than helpful. After years of numerous accidents due to the hazardous traffic conditions around the circle, it was demolished in the 1940s.

For a time, the neighborhood was called Florida Park. Currently, however, residents have embraced its historic name and have much pride in their community. In fact, Truxton Circle actually has two neighborhood associations, with the Bates Area Civic Association covering the northern half of the neighborhood and the Hanover Area Civic Association representing the southern half.